Organizer: The Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and the National Science Council
Official Program Objective: "The Taiwan Scholarship Program was established... to encourage outstanding international students to undertake degree programs in Taiwan. While providing study opportunities for a wide range of disciplines, at Taiwan's universities and colleges, this program also aims to:
1. Promote knowledge, understanding and friendship between people in Taiwan and in countries around the world.
2. Provide opportunities to increase academic and educational links with international institutions of higher learning.
3. Develop outstanding professionals and experts to meet the needs of the global society."
Program Eligibility: "An applicant must meet all of the following criteria:
1. Be a high school graduate or above, have an excellent academic performance in his/her most recent formal educational study experience, be of good moral character and does not have any criminal records.
2. Is not an R.O.C. (Taiwan) national.
3. Does not have the status of being an overseas compatriot student.
4. Has never enrolled at any educational institution in Taiwan for the same level of degree or LEP that he/she plans to matriculate at.
5. Is not an exchange student in accordance with any agreement of cooperation between an international university/college and an educational institute in Taiwan, at the time of receiving a Taiwan Scholarship.
6. Has never received the scholarship to undertake any degree program or language study within the total award period of 5 years.
7. Does not have any revocation record regarding the Taiwan Scholarship Program nor from the Ministry of Education's Huayu Enrichment Scholarship Program.
8. Is not a recipient of any other scholarship or subsidy offered by the Taiwan government or from any other educational institutions in Taiwan. "
Scholarship Amount: "The amount of each scholarship varies in accordance with the funding government agency's policy:
1. MOFA Scholarship: One economy-class, direct-route roundtrip international airfare ticket, plus a monthly stipend of NT$30,000 (approximately US$930).
2. MOE Scholarship: A monthly stipend of NT$25,000 (approximately US$775) for undergraduate or LEP study, and NT$30,000 for a postgraduate degree program.
3. NSC Scholarship: A monthly stipend of NT$30, 000."
Award Period: "The award period for each degree/study program is as follows:
Undergraduate program: maximum 4 years.
Master's program: maximum 2 years.
Doctoral program: maximum 3 years.
LEP: maximum 1 year."
Admission Difficulty: Unknown.
Repeat Participants? Yes. "Upon completion of a degree program, recipients may re-apply for a Taiwan Scholarship to undertake another degree program, by following the application process as specified above. The maximum duration of each recipient's total award period is 5 years."